The churchyard has been closed for burials for over 270 years, though cremated remains are buried in the Garden of Remembrance. The names of all those whose remains are interred here, as well as those who had a funeral service in St James’, are recorded in a Book of Remembrance which can be viewed in the South Aisle of the church. A list of names and location is displayed in the porch.
The document attached created by the Huntingdonshire Family History Society lists the monuments in the church from 1676 to 1983, and in the churchyard from 1687 to 1897, and the burial of cremated remains from 1948 to 1991 (prior to the closure of the then garden of Remembrance and the creation of a new one in the south east corner of the churchyard. These lists are created from a survey conducted by Peter Foster, OBE, church member from 1947 to 2010 and church architect for many of those years.
A memorial to Mrs Elizabeth West (1694) in marble on the nave floor is transcribed from Latin to English in the attached document.
Old Garden of Remembrance
This garden of remembrance is located on the south side of chancel and there is no new space available.