Thinking about getting married at St James’ or St Margaret’s?  We’d like to help.  Your wedding is an important day in your lives, and we want to do all we can to make the marriage service a really special part of your day.  Please contact our vicar Peter for further information.  If you do not live in the parish you may have a qualifying connection.  If you are unsure, you might like to come to an 11am service on a Sunday morning at St James and introduce yourself to the vicar over a cup of coffee.  Peter would be glad to meet any couple on a Sunday morning at the 11am service thinking about getting married here.

Application forms for St James’ Church or St Margaret’s Church

Please do not make any bookings based on a date before you have confirmed this with the church.

If you are marrying in another Parish Church but need your banns read at St James’ please complete and return a banns_application.

Legislation requires clergy to see evidence of British/EEA/Swiss nationality.

At your first appointment UK Nationals are required to bring a full valid Passport, IF NOT please see Marriage Evidence Form.

Please also bring along a bank statement or utility bill to verify you address and if you don’t live in the parish evidence of your qualifying connection and  proof of current use of name.

Swiss and EEA Nationals are required to bring a full valid Passport, OR a valid national identity card issued by an EEA state or Switzerland.

In order to speed up your application please arrange your first meeting after you have obtained this documentation.  Please telephone if you are having any difficulty.

If one or both parties is not a British, EEA or Swiss national they cannot marry by banns or common licence.  The couple must attend a registration office for civil preliminaries and obtain Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate for Marriage.  If this applies to you please arrange to see the vicar first to obtain agreement for marriage in church and a provisional date. With this provision you will need to meet again once the Certificate for Marriage is obtained.

If you require a visa to enter the UK you are subject to immigration control are requited to give notice at a Designated Register Office.  You will need to provide a letter of consent to marry in the stated building from the vicar. please be aware that the waiting period is a minimum of 28 days and can be extended by the Home Office to 70 days.  You will be told how long you have to wait.

The Marriage Service

You can find an idea about the structure of the order of service here

For more ideas a good links visit the Church of England’s wedding site.


Follow the link above.

During the current pandemic it is not possible to be married in church. Please look at the information here.